Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Learning from the Experts

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."  Pablo Picasso



The biggest struggle for me on this creative journey?  Finding my very own style.

When I asked my art teacher how to do this, he said, "That is where the magic happens."  At the time, I wanted to say, "Can you be a little more specific?" 

But today, I think I felt a little bit of the magic.  And I'm starting to keep a running list in my head that has taken the shape of a recipe, which I envision all mixed together in some ancient swirling cauldron stirred by some long-haired goddess in a flowing gown. But first, here is what came out of the magic:


In Full Bloom--work in progress

Tree of Life--in progress


Connected--work in progress

(An Incomplete) Recipe to Develop Your Own Artistic Style
1) Chunks of Time--A rare commodity in Motherland, but chunks of time are required to let loose and play with paint. Little 15 minute sprinkles here and there are not enough to get into cooking mode. Creativity, inspiration and materials must simmer.

2) A Cup of Spontaneity--This is what I learned today. I'm always amazed by my kids' creativity. Recently, I noticed they don't think while creating--they just go for it. So today, I decided to "Paint fast and fearlessly." (I know this is grammatically wrong but it is what I call it!)

I didn't let myself think at all.  I chose a color quickly, made quick lines and did not let myself make any conscious decisions.  Most importantly, I didn't critique.  I didn't let the voices of self-doubt enter my head.  It was almost as if I shut down my mind.

These random acts produced some fun results, and I finally felt like parts of myself that I didn't know existed were surfacing.  Things I could do that I didn't know I could, colors I didn't know I liked, etc.

This is all I have for now, but I'm hoping to keep adding to this list.  I'd love to hear your own ingredients for creating artwork that is uniquely yours!